HGV Training Prices

Government Funding for HGV Training

If you’re interested in training to become an HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) driver, it’s important to be aware of all the different types of government funding for HGV training. Between grants, loans and other types of financial aid, some students pay very little to none of their education costs out of their own pockets.


Grants, if you qualify for them, are a wonderful type of government funding for HGV training. They do not have to be paid back. Loans are typically given based on very strict criteria. Your school should have all the necessary paperwork and information.

Many students miss out on government grants because they feel that they would not qualify. Regardless of your financial situation, experts recommend applying for as many grants as possible. The money is literally yours for the asking, providing that you meet criteria. It makes good financial sense to apply.


Available directly through many schools, loans are amounts of money which must be paid back. Student loans, however, often have very easy terms. This means, in many cases, that you will be loaned a certain amount of money but will not be required to begin paying it off until a certain point after your graduation, which gives you plenty of time to find work and begin earning a paycheck. Typically you will have six months after graduation, although this can vary. Check with your school and lender to be absolutely sure of how much time you have.

While every loan comes with an interest rate, these loans typically have low rates compared to bank loans. This makes them easier to pay off in a reasonable amount of time. Some are even interest free, meaning that you only pay back the amount you borrowed. Be certain, before you sign anything, to find out exactly how much interest you’ll be accumulating. In some cases, interest rates can be high enough to make it nearly impossible to pay the loan off. There is usually a much better alternative out there, so if an interest rates sounds too high for you, don’t hesitate to look elsewhere.

How to Find Funding

A great way to begin searching for financial assistance is with the help of your advisor, counselor or any other school official. Many schools have a specific office or person just for handling students’ financial aid and assistance, and they typically have information on the best ways to get the biggest loans and grants. They will also be able to assist you in finding a low- or no-interest loan, as opposed to one with a high interest rate.

If your school doesn’t have the resources necessary, or you just want to begin your search early, try looking online for government funding for HGV training. There are grants and loans available for certain types of careers, different individuals and many other criteria. Search and see what you come up with – you’ll likely be surprised at all the financing that’s out there. The sooner you begin your search, the sooner you’ll be on your way to a new career.

Check out one of our other articles that offers further advise on methods to get free training.

8 thoughts on “Government Funding for HGV Training”

  1. I am 45yrs old have my class2 but wanting class 1 how can I obtain any kind of help as have no chance of credit really bad history just need some guidance please

  2. Hello, I hope you are doing well. First of all, check out this article that we previously wrote Click Here

    The government offers Advanced Learner Loans (https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/how-to-apply). You should check with local HGV training centres to see if their courses qualify for this funding. Here is a link to a HGV training company which offers HGV training through the Advanced Learn Loan service (https://www.truckschool.org.uk/government-funded-hgv-pcv-course).

    Another option is to apply for an apprenticeship. Here are a few links related to HGV apprenticeships in which you will be paid alongside getting free HGV qualifications.


    I hope this has helped, let me know how you get on.

  3. Hi I’m 46 years old and have driven a 7.5 tonne lorry basically since I was 18, I’m desperate to get my class 2 licence as I really want to work for myself as a grab driver but unfortunately I don’t earn great money and i can’t afford the cost of what it is to train, I so desperately want to improve mine and family’s way of living is there any kind of government aid I can get, Yours hopefully Mr David Drew

  4. I’d like to find out more info about grants to upgrade to my c+e ive had my c for 30yrs. Stuck in a deadend position & would like to upgrade..

  5. Hi there. Just a quick question. I failed my class 2. and planning on going to another school as I wasn’t impressed with the service I received.
    I need £960 for 2 days driving plus test and pass protection. Any way I can get help towards this. Really don’t mind at all paying it back!! After all I’m already 2k into it. Just this time of year financially is hard enough let alone finding another thousand pound.

  6. I’m 55 and have 7.5tonne license wanting to do my class2 is there any grants I could claim thanks Tim

  7. am 56 with a CIE and D1 on my licence am looking to get class 2 with Hiab
    am unemployed now and been advised that I can have government funding for the driving test …is there any help or advice you could offer me with getting started

  8. Hi I’m 34 years old and have wanted to be driving 7.5 tonne lorry or cement mixers I’m currently working on a building site as a labourer and am not happy there, I just need a little help to obtain a lorry licence, I’ have a car licence and I am a rearlly good driver and I would be so happy if I could get some financial help to get one,